USM Accounting Society is an organization founded on 4th February 2002. The society serves as a platform that students can utilize to gain knowledge and experience beyond lecture halls and academics. It provides the opportunity for proactive students to reach their realm of success through events and activities geared towards helping to better equip them.
The main objective of the society is to organize accounting-related activities for the students of the School of Management, especially accounting students. The society also strives to develop direct networks between professional accounting bodies and students in order to acquire a better understanding of accounting fields. In addition, it also connects with audit firms and external organizations to facilitate the placement of students for internships and to increase the likelihood of employment after graduation.
The society rebranded itself in September 2016 with a new logo and tagline, “Per Aspera Ad Astra” a Latin phrase symbolizing “through hardships to the stars”. With that, it signifies the society’s goal of achieving a more prominent position in the competitive business world and academic community.
Per Aspera Ad Astra
1. To organize activities in the field of accounting for accounting students specifically, and for students of the School of Management in general.
2. To ensure that more accounting-related activities can be organized successfully.
3. To establish direct networks between professional accounting bodies and accounting students.
4. To provide opportunities for accounting students to learn more about accounting.
5. To establish networks with audit firms and external organizations to facilitate the postings of students for practical training and also to increase their chances of getting jobs upon graduation.
By School of Management, Universiti Sains Malaysia since 2002
1. MICPA Internship Talk
- Mainly targeted for third year accounting students.
- Talks were given by the Assurance Partner of Deloitte Malaysia and the Executive Director of PricewaterhouseCoopers Malaysia.
2. SOM Interaction Day and Beach Cleaning
- Targeted for all SOM first year students
- Provide students with opportunities to interact with their peers outside of lecture halls and have fun while learning soft skills.
3. Sports Day
- To encourage students to participate in an activity that is not study based
- To encourage interaction among society members and accounting students of different batches.
4. Accounting Professional Avenue
- To provide an opportunity to Accounting undergraduates to deepen their knowledge about career prospects in the professional services industry.
- To serve as a platform for final year students to apply or inquire for job positions in the professional services industry.
- To serve as a platform for employers from the professional services industry and professional qualification bodies representatives to interact with students from higher learning institutions.
- To promote networking among students from various higher learning institutions.
- To provide guidance for students to write a presentable resume
- Helping one to prepare themselves on acing a job interview
6. Industrial Visit
- Provide opportunities for students to visit professional accounting bodies and accounting firms.
- Hits: 11355