Master of Arts (MA)
The Master of Arts are research programmes offered throughout of the year. These programmes are offered as full-time and part-time modes to qualified Malaysian and International Students to do independent research supervised by their respective lecturers in the respective field of expertise. As the field of accounting, finance and management are dynamic, new areas/field of studies are always emerging as newer technological tools and developments become available. Upon graduation, students may seek employment in both public and private sectors.
Students can choose between:
• MA (Accounting)
• Goods and Services Tax and Taxation Issues
• Asset Pricing
• Strategic Management and Organisational Issues
• Internationalisation of Enterprises
• International Marketing
Operations and Production
• Productivity and Quality
Applications for postgraduate studies in USM can be made online through the Institute of Postgraduate Studies website (http://www.ips.usm.my/).
An applicant for a Master degree should possess the following qualifications:
I. Bachelor degree (Honours)
A) CGPA of at least 2.75/4.00
C) CGPA of 2.00 - 2.49/4.00 with
II. APEL A Certificate (APEL T-7)
• A minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) (Paper-based); or
• A minimum score of 213 on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) (computer-based); or
• A minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) (Internet-based); or
• A minimum score of 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System); or
• English is the candidate’s mother tongue or National Language; or
• The candidate graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction at Bachelor and Master level is English; or
• English courses offered by British Council. (The level of qualification and the relevant courses are to be identified by the University Postgraduate Studies Council); or
• English courses offered by School of Languages, Literacies and Translation (The level of qualification and the relevant courses are to be identified by the University Postgraduate Studies Council); or
• English courses from selected Malaysian public/private university or institution. (The level of qualification and the relevant courses should be previously identified and approved by the University Postgraduate Studies Council); or
• A minimum Band 4 of Malaysian University English Test (MUET)
• Bahasa Melayu, LKM 100 is compulsory for all foreign students and must be taken and passed prior to graduation. The passing grade is C. Registration for this course can be made at the Centre for Languages & Translation, USM.
A Master degree can be completed in two modes i.e. either Full-time or Part-time.
Full-time candidates need to complete their dissertation in minimum of 2 semesters and maximum of 6 semesters.
** A foreign candidate outside of the Malay Archipelago is required to register as a full-time student.
Part-time candidates are allowed to complete their dissertations in minimum of 4 semesters and maximum of 12 semesters.
** Fees are subject to change